Saturday, January 2, 2010

ARTISTS I LIKE: FRANZ WEST

So, Franz West is another Austrian artist that I really got into after the Baltimore Museum of Art hosted the first U.S. retrospective of his work a couple of years ago. I knew the show was going on to LACMA but I hadn't really thought much about his work until last week. I was walking along the east side of Central Park and saw a piece of his called the Id and the Ego in an outdoor setting at the edge of the Park. What I love about the piece is it's series of seats, connected to spiraling pastel frames. The only thing you can "do" with it is sit down and enjoy the view.


1 comment:

  1. i saw this too when i was walking through the park. it was wonderful. and i totally agree, after walking around the seats and finally sitting in one, i realized that it was far more about living in the moment and reflecting than it was on the objects themselves, which sort of just become vehicle to let that self-exploration happen.

    ReplyDelete