Thursday, January 21, 2010

ARTISTS I LIKE: JONTE

One of my favorite things to think about when I'm experiencing some sort of super-big, ultra-produced pop culture explosion is the source of the inspiration that brought it into being. A great example is the relationship between Beyonce and her choreographer, Jonte. Jonte packages amazing dance moves for Beyonce that wow her fans and seem to defy the gravity of heels and a woman's body. And she's so pretty that people can't help to gobble up her product. But what I find more compelling is the independent career of her choreographer and friend(she admits that if she were a man, she'd want to be Jonte), who has found a lot of fans in Japan, basically 'cuz he so cute 'n crazy.

His dance moves are phenomenal and inspiring to watch. And I love how he can plow through a sequence looking so rough and tough and then throw on some crazy heels and still look amazing, albeit ridiculous. Check out this live vid from a show in Hiroshima, a fitting place for a performance by someone who seems to clearly have mutated into something very new in dance performance.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I can't believe you see Jonte the way I see him. As a dancer myself I think that was he is doing is phenomenal :)

    ReplyDelete