Tuesday, January 5, 2010

MCCALL'S PATTERN #820



So, I found this cool Raggedy Ann and Andy painting at the thrift store. What's interesting about it is that Raggedy Ann and Andy are black. The only references I could think of in pop culture to the characters were always their white counterparts. But the popularity of the dolls came about because they were usually hand-made with McCall's patterns, so naturally someone made the dolls with different skin colors to match their own children's experience. And that practice took off and spun it's own, less acknowledged, web of black Raggedy Ann and Andy paraphernalia resulting in these adorable and eery little paintings. America through the lens of a thrift store is so fucked up.

Oh, and aren't these Sally Jesse Raphael glasses sexy???? Who's thrifting with me next week???

8 comments:

  1. Colby you are hysterical! What an eye! What two eyes! You got the Sally Jesse go'n on! It's always a pleasure coming here and looking into your artistic mind. From your own art creations, and experiences 3-D, sweaty etc. to a big straw, kitty docking and a ceramic catepillar in the likeness of a 5-function prostate massager and the 3 B's! What I wouldn't do to go thrift shopping with you! It's one of my favorite things to do with my friends! I've been away from my comp for a while so it was a blast catching up! Happy New Year! I hope 2010 brings you so so much of your hearts desires!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colby, I think you have quite a stable of guys willing to go thrifting with you. If you ever come to Chicago, I'll take you to my corner dollar store which is a great place for off-brand toys and Saint-related candles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should have a contest...instead of the traditional "win a date with..." nonsense, we could have "win a visito to the thrift store with..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, guys don't make passes at studs who wear (SJR's) Glasses!

    Have fun thrifting though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't want to go on a date? Aww, and I was going to be a gentleman and carry your tray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tonight when I get home I'm taking a sexy pic of me in my underwear with my SJR's, Presto...and we'll see what you think about making a pass at me then...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooo! I can't wait to see that pic! Suddenly I have this urge to go thrift shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I would so want to see that pick as well!! Hot hot hot! I would definiftly go thrifting with you. Sometimes you can actually find things you can use in real life!!!

    ReplyDelete