Thursday, March 11, 2010

BIG LOVE & BIG WIVES


SPOILER ALERT: THIS POST WILL HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FINAL EPISODE OF BIG LOVE SEASON 4!

As many of you know, I'm completely in love with the HBO series Big Love. It's a wild romp into the world of a typical suburban Utah family....that happens to be a polygamous mormon family, attempting to normalize their religious beliefs and family structure as best they can, while trying their best to avoid/ignore/improve the crazy polygamous compounds where some of them came from.

One of the things I love about the show is the interaction between the primary sister wives. The actresses in those roles (Chloe Sevigny - can anyone say Gummo?, Jeanne Tripplehorn & Ginnifer Goodwin) so completely embody their characters and true sense of Mormon-ness that I grew up around in suburban Texas. I love too how it affects my own perception of my actions/behaviors within family units and structures. For example, I'll do something that I tell myself is so "first wife" or so "second wife" and it just makes me laugh about how quickly my mind wants to re-categorize actions and behaviors based on the new model before me. The show is probably doing more for the advancement of queer theory and bringing awareness to the constraints of gender binaries than a thousand pages of Judith Butler...and it's so much more EXCITING!!!

And the show is basically about homosexuality, in as much as it's about otherness and coming out of the closet. I recommend to anyone who needs a powerful coming out narrative to catch up on Seasons 1-3 on Netflix and get some HBO ON Demand to plow through Season 4 for one of the most brazen coming out plotlines I've ever seen on television. As much as Another Gay Movie wanted Queer as Folk to eat its heart out with the silly sex scenes, Big Love did it with an over the top "I'm Here and I'm Queer" moment in the final episode of Season IV. It's breath-taking. Go polygamous Mormons (just do us all a favor and find those Cubic Zirconium tablets that make ya'll a-okay with homosexuality).

1 comment:

  1. jjdoerkson@hotmail.comMay 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM

    okay, i'm going to go watch big love at your recommendation. i hope i enjoy it, you seem to. :)

    -A

    ReplyDelete