Sunday, April 25, 2010

COLBY AS FOODIE: SEA SALT CARAMELS

So some of you may know that I love good food and specifically, world cuisine. One of my favorite things to do in new cities where I travel is to seek out some of the best new restaurants and food experiences. I'm not huge on the fancy upscale American thing(budget of course is an issue), but I love finding the best ethnic and/or hole-in-the-wall joints in a city.

I also LOVE to cook. My most recent project has been to try and re-create these amazing sea salt caramels I had when I was last in Los Angeles. I finally found the best recipe, thanks of course to Martha Stewart. Check out the fun pictures of my most recent candy-making session and try it yourself with the recipe below.



If anyone wants to place an order for Colby Caramels, let me know! I actually tweaked the recipe below a bit...

I add about 1tsp to 1 1/2tsp maldon smoked sea salt into the mixture and cook until 260, not 250 so the caramel is firmer.
Ingredients
Makes 81 caramels
1 cup goat milk butter
2 cups pure wildflower honey
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions
Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper; set aside.
Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add honey, cream, and sugar; stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
Continue boiling, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla; pour into prepared pan. Let cool for 1 hour; sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely, overnight.
Turn caramels out onto a cutting board; remove parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, cut caramels into 1-inch squares; wrap each in wax paper. Caramels will keep in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 1 month. Caramels will soften at room temperature or stay firm if kept chilled.

9 comments:

  1. "If anyone wants to place an order for Colby Caramels, let me know!"

    How about a Colby dipped in caramel? Can we order one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take 3 boxes...if you'll deliver them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha, you misread the post as "colby as food" but i LOVE the idea of a caramel dipped photo shoot...will keep in mind for the future...

    yes, first wife, a batch just for you when i'm out in LA next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. orders can be placed at bigshoediaries@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh... I heard this is where we sign up for some colby-mels.
    (see what I did there)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, don't make it sound like a chore! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. jjdoerkson@hotmail.comMay 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM

    mmm... i would love some! how would i order some from you?

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have any Baltimore area restaurant recommendations?

    ReplyDelete