Thursday, May 20, 2010

LITTLE CITY: BIG STARS


So, for those of us who DON'T live in NYC and LA, celebrity spottings are a lot less frequent. Carrie Bradshaw does not bump into us perusing organic pears at Whole Foods in Chelsea and we're not having brunch on patios within earshot of the new "It girl" and her BFFs.


In Baltimore, we have filmmaker and artist, John Waters. He splits his time now between NYC and P-town and his native Charm City. And here, I see him at openings, film festivals, City Cafe, on the street...it's kind of awesome. And in many ways, Waters defines Baltimore or what most people know of it. I'm wondering what other smaller cities and towns have a singular celebrity who you not only see on the street, but who represents the idea of the town itself.


Like, if Kelsey Grammer actually lived in Seattle...would that count? Thoughts from people who don't live in major cities with multiple celebrities? Who is your John Waters?

7 comments:

  1. I love John Waters and pretty much all his movies. I even did a high school project and essay about his movies and how they were so influential to the rest of cinema. Have you ever met him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben Franklin I walk past nearly every day going to work.

    Presto - dwelling in the city of luverly brothers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a Major Canadian city -- but have seen very few Canadian celebrities. My friends see them all the time, apparently. But I do not.

    Recently spotted at my favourite martini bar was Dennis Quaid, according to one of my lucky celebrity-spotting friends. I'm told he was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tacoma, WA has Richard Brautigan and Frank Herbert (Dune series), both deceased writers. Needless to say, I see them far less than you might see JW. However, I think Brautigan in particular captures both the spirit of Tacoma's working class roots and that devil-may-care attitude cultivated through his experiences in the Bay Area during the 1960s. Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bump into Jason Mraz alot in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy crap you live in Bmore??? Me tooo :)
    doing the grad school at MICA. I'd be happy if I
    ever bumped into you. You are definitely what a man
    should look like. WOOF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to your post very much, Colby, as I spent three very long years living in Baltimore, and now I live in Manhattan. I remember meeting John Waters at a restaurant bar while I was on a very bad date. I got up to go to the restroom, and I went to talk to him. My date was so drunk that he didn't even realize I was gone for as long as I was! I sat down and talked to John who told me to just leave (after I had a cocktail with him of course)! He definitely represented Baltimore. And now in New York, I am running into celebrities all the time. Hugely famous ones. Robert Pattinson, Gwynneth Paltrow, Robert De Niro...

    ReplyDelete