Tuesday, June 1, 2010

THE QUEEN OF "I SEE PENIS": LOUISE BOURGEOIS

I was very sad to hop on the web after coming home from the Memorial Day weekend only discover that 98yr old art superstar Louise Bourgeois had died on Saturday of a heart attack. A hero of mine, Louise has been a pioneer of the psycho-sexual. . . Vaginas, boobs and cocks abound in her magnificent body of work. Her death signals a sad reminder of the generative organ's limited powers of reproduction. All who enter this world surely leave it. Louis's stone cocks, however, live forever. I for one, send my congratulations on a life well lived and art well-made. We will miss you.





3 comments:

  1. I saw her show at the Guggenheim (NY) a couple of years ago. I gotta admit, I've never been a HUGE fan of her work, but I thought it was a good show. Sad to hear that she's passed away. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna see her exhibition very soon,I'm more interested in her designs and fabrics but I'm also looking for her Spiders.As you said she lived a great life.
    RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, this is the work she's best known for, but if you really want your socks knocked off, check out her early totemic pieces. Modern Genius.

    ReplyDelete