Thursday, October 28, 2010

HOT NAKED WEREWOLF






HOWL

From the movie by the same name, Franco plays noted Beat poet (and homosexual) Alan Ginsburg.  The poem actually has nothing to do with werewolves, but hey its Halloween, and this gives me another excuse to post something about my future husband.

The film is playing a very limited run in select cities across the country.  I thought I had already missed it, but "Howl" opens this Friday in DC and Baltimore.  (NOTE to DC film buffs: There is apparently a new arthouse cinema opening this Friday called the West End Cinema at 23rd and M NW. "Howl" will be the premier featured film).

Along with Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" and William S. Burrough's "Naked Lunch", Ginsberg's "Howl" is one of the great Beat classics.  Ginsburg and his publisher won a 1957 obscenity trial about the poem (Leftist politics, cock and homo-sex abound! Oh my!).  If you haven't seen it, David Cronenberg's adaptation of "Naked Lunch" is pretty fantastic too. 

Click here to read "Howl" in its entirety or watch the clip above to see Franco's interpretation.  From what I've seen he delivers a pretty authentic sounding Ginsberg.  



2 comments:

  1. It opens here in Nashville this weekend and I can't wait! Been waiting for this one for a while. Not only is it Ginsberg, played by James Franco no less, but also includes sexy Aaron Tveit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. I love Ginsberg so much. Colby, you should do a reading of Howl and post it!

    On second thought, please don't. I might actually explode in a burst of artistically satisfied jism.

    ReplyDelete