Saturday, November 27, 2010

LAND AHOY!








Forget turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey and biscuits. . . looks like I'll be eating lame duck.  My days as Commissar of the Socialjism Party are numbered.  Capitalist swine of the world rejoice: Colby Keller has decided to join the ownership class!

I am now the proud owner of not one but two individual parcels of land. . . real, bone-fide acreage (well, square footage).

I actually acquired the first property years ago.  Part of the Cabinetlandia estate in New Mexico, the Keller family ranch is part of a project devised by Cabinet Magazine (each of the 6,700 plots of land available to readers are the size of the magazine).  The site is also home to the world renown Cabinetlandia Free Library (second set of pictures down).

I acquired my second property opening a bottle of Laphroaig scotch this Thanksgiving.  I now own a 1 foot by 1 foot holding on the Scottish isle of Islay!  Anyone care to buy Colby a sheep?




8 comments:

  1. i have some family members in islay! its very beautiful, the neighbouring island jura has 2 mountains called the paps of jura... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Papsofjura1.jpg ;) alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you visit Laphroaig on Islay, you can hike out to see your own little plot of barley field. I went to the distillery, and was handed some Wellingtons, a map and an umbrella! Plus you get a free bottle of the 10-year as "land rent" for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a great song by Donovan about Islay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look it up. Any idea on what the song is called?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG those pics of NM looked familiar! I'm originally from Southern NM and to be honest, the desert of NM is pretty easy to recognize.. kind of like in the Due Date movie ( big chunk of it was shot in Las Cruces, NM - hometown). What a crazy idea to buy square inch plots! Wonder if there's anything like that here in Bmore? hmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. .. I really do enjoy reading your blog Colby.. just the right mix of smut, art and intelligence. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Colby: If you haven't found the song already, it's called "Isle of Islay".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes. The title of the song would be that obvious wouldn't it.

    Whats this about a free bottle of scotch!?!? Any Scottish Colby doppelgängers out there willing to impersonate me and sent my baby bottle home? I'm so thiiiirsty.

    ReplyDelete