Friday, January 14, 2011

COUNTESS DE KELLER



Before heading off to spend the week working on a farm in Tennessee with "friend of Colby" Kenny, we first made a pit-stop at the Frist Museum of Art in Nashville.  Admittedly, the exhibition of Impressionist Art from the Musée d'Orsay in Paris currently on show didn't excite me-- I'm more of a contemporary-art kinda city slicker.  All said, I ended up learning a number of new things and enjoyed the exhibit.   I even caught glimpse of a distant Keller relative: my great-great-great-aunt " Le Comtesse de Keller" (Alexandre Cabanel, 1873).  Too bad she spent all the family fortune on baguettes. 

The curators did a good job of framing the radicalism of Impressionism in light of political upheaval in France during the period.  Peter Watkin's film "La Commune" does an excellent job of exploring the promising but brief Paris Commune of 1871-- a film I recommend every leftie watch.

"Bonhomme!" Sing communard!  Sing!    

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found some enjoyment out of the Impressionist art from Musée d'Orsay at the Frist in Nashville. I'm hoping the exhibit will make it here to Baltimore some day. I caught the Warhol exhibit at the BMA a few months back and was very impressed, also caught the Rockwell exhibit in DC around the same time. Now if we could only persuade the de Menil collection to open an exhibit here or better yet--a satellite museum?

    ReplyDelete