Friday, January 21, 2011

FLICK U: I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS



I feel compelled to write a post about this movie A). because I just saw it, B). because its about two tacky fags from my hometown of Houston, Texas, C). because its a pretty incredible true story.   The main character played by Jim Carey also has a keen knack for seeing a penis in just about everything he comes across. . . like yours truly.  :-)

I think you could also write something smart about gay male affect and its relationship to wealth/power(lessness) . . . an affect tied to a queer capacity for doubling . . . a "gay" affect pregnant with the disarming propensity to demarcate the duplicitous/humorous . . . an affect implicated most vigorously by the "closet". . . an affect appropriately conveyed via the Hollywood capitalist behemoth (If any city masters the shallow art of affect its LA). . . an affect marshaled unconvincingly in the utterly fucking weird spectacle of Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey locking lips (strangely enough, nothing in the film feels gay. . .  nothing seems to speak with a true queer sensibility-- blackface/pinkface?-- Is this movie really about something else?  Narcissistic ego vs. love?  The creative (and crazy!) capacity of the individual vs. the inept State?  Just more capitalist propaganda?  Is "gayness" merely an allegory?) . . . but I'm tired from my 6 hour flight from SF.  Anyone else want to give it a crack?

 

9 comments:

  1. I saw the movie last week and enjoyed its comedic elements, and like you saw it partly because it was about characters from my hometown. I was a bit turned off by how much Hollywood did what it could to portray stereotypical "gay" behavior in the characters. McGregor's and Carrey's chemistry was lacking, which surprised me because both men are good actors. I wonder if they were directed not to seem too convincing on screen? I was a bit miffed about Steven (Carrey) faking his death by AIDS at the end because I get very tired of gay or gay-themed movies seeming to have to incorporate HIV or AIDS somewhere into the plot or characters. It reinforces the idea that HIV is a gay disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I've said it once, I've said it 1000 times: America likes their homosexuality the way they like their hamburgers: FLAMING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this over Christmas and loved it! I was a little concerned when the whole AIDS scheme reared it's head because I thought it was totally heading in the wrong direction. Another reprehensible human being who's given a "saintly" status for dying from disease. But I felt the turnaround at the end totally redeemed that and brought it back around to the cynicism I was expecting.

    And I disagree that the chemistry between the two leads was lacking. I loved the scene with the two of them dancing while a virtual prison riot is breaking out around them. I think if there was anything lacking it might be because the true-life relationship being portrayed had issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omygod I get so turned on when you talk film theory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love it if you would learn to use the word "affect" correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eat shit Anonymous. How cum blogger doesn't let you block people?

    affect
    "to make a pretense of," 1660s, earlier "to assume the character of (someone)" (1590s); originally in Eng. "to aim at, aspire to, make for" (late 15c.), from M.Fr. affecter (15c.), from L. affectare "to strive after, aim at," freq. of afficere (pp. affectus ) "to do something to, act on" (see affect (n.)).

    ReplyDelete
  7. great film... i enjoyed for its entertainment value!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for films that take dark material and treat it with a lighthearted tone. Such a bizarre little movie...

    As for the HIV/AIDS plot diversion, I can't blame the filmmakers for going there, since that is what the real Steven Russell did to get out of prison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only real thing I can say about my experience watching this film: I left the movie feeling exactly the way I went into it. I felt nothing. And considering all the "shocking" scenes of homo-specta-busy-ness, I find this both remarkable, and sad. Could it be that this is the first "mainstream" gay-themed movie to wink it's brown butt-hole at America and not in the end EXPECT that it's any big deal? If so, touché to the filmmakers and actors for achieving such a thing. But again, I left feeling nothing. If we still had video stores, me and everyone else would pass by this movie's empty cassette box a 1000 times (like I did with that movie "The Damned"), and finally get around to renting it a decade later. So, perhaps this movie WILL have it's moment? A profound, if delayed, impact for the world? A secret to tell?

    ReplyDelete