Tuesday, January 25, 2011

SCOTCH (AND ROMANTIC) PRIDE: Happy Robert Burns Day(Night)!


Did you know that Colby loves poetry?  It's no secret I'm a fan of many things literary, in addition to my penchant for all things lusty.  And as a true fan of the poem (not to mention liberalism and progressive ideas), I gleefully pay tribute today to one of my favorite Scottish poets, Robert Burns.  I'll toast with good Scotch Whiskey tonight and see if I can't find a spoonful of Haggis somewhere.

In advance of your own Burns poetry recitals at the hearth tonight, check out this clever poem animation of one of his more important and sometimes confusing pro-Scottish odes.
 


Ye Pow'rs wha mak mankind your care,

And dish them out their bill o' fare,

Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware

That jaups in luggies;

But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,

Gie her a haggis!

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of that great Scots poem:
    "Long and thin
    Goes too far in
    And doesn't please the ladies.
    Short and thick
    Does the trick
    And makes for proper babies."
    English visitors to Scotland in the 18th century are said to have been surprised to find children reciting this as a nursery rhyme. But with all the mean wearing kilts, who wouldn't develop a pretty good sense of what men were packing early in life?
    Check your email, OK?

    ReplyDelete