Sunday, February 6, 2011

I SEE PENIS: COZY




Blog reader KP from SF sent in the above pics from the waiting room of the Castro STD clinic-- a wall of cock cozies!  Finally something other than ass to keep my willie warm!  Looks like I can finally stop having sex!!  I sure hope the nurses aren't handing those things out as condoms.  DIY does have its limits boys. 

Naturally I did a blog search for other crochet masterpieces.  I knew an artist in Houston that once made cozies for washing machines.  Below you'll find a whole assortment of yarn art, some phallic, other not, though to this humble sex worker everything looks like dick.  I think this particular association may have something vaguely to do with foreskin and the constant thematic obsession with "covering" that crops up in a lot of crochet.  What is it exactly about this shit that makes everything homey/sexual/creepy/funny all in the same moment? 













Not to be missed-- check out one of the wackiest exhibits I've seen all year: an endangered coral reef. . . crocheted!  You can find it at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC!!





I dedicate this post to a certain someone (eh hem) who promised to knit me a pair of gym shorts.  I'm still waiting.  :-)

8 comments:

  1. the hyperbolic crocheted coral reef is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God those crocheted facial masks on the 60s kiddies are horrifying! lol Awesome post, Colby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dripping zombie cocks in the Castro STD clinic are quite effective. ...or is that infective?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, CK, I love you for this post, and for all the other ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colby, the crocheted penises are mine. Thanks for posting them on your blog. They aren't cozies, the drawstring is in the foreskin. I would gladly give you a private showing of my several hundred penises the next time you are in San Francisco and even give you two or three.
    Jack Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love my own crocheted penis! What if you are cut though?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you saying that you don't/can't appreciate penises that are uncut?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is Serbian old tradition!
    Check "nakurnjak" == cocktop
    http://www.google.gr/images?rlz=1C1DVCB_enGR363GR364&q=nakurnjak&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=rEldTaWgGIaWswaN7-HgCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CC0QsAQwAQ&biw=1280&bih=905

    ReplyDelete