Thursday, February 17, 2011


 Sad Colby!  Nobody will let him inside.  

Thanks to a few "Friends of Colby", I was recently able to sneak a peak at the dilapidated Ennis-Brown House in Los Feliz, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1923.  Inspired by the Mayan temples of Uxmal, the house features prominently in several Hollywood movies, most notably "Blade Runner".  It also made an appearance in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and the 70's classic "Day of the Locusts".  

I remember the interior of the house (or something like it) featured in a 90's children's TV series that explored the paranormal-- something along the lines of the brief and unpopular "Eerie, Indiana".  Alas, and to my great disappointment, I haven't been able to remember the name of the show.  Anyone have a clue? 

The house has been plagued with misfortune since its inception.   Despite an incredible view overlooking Los Angeles, the house started crumbling before construction finished.  After a series of restoration efforts failed to bring the house to standard, the Ennis House Foundation put the historic home for sale in 2009 for $15 million.  The price has steadily declined to $7.49 million.  I will gladly pull out my caulk gun for any blog reader willing to buy Colby this fixer-uper.

Learn more about the Ennis-Brown House in this banal sales video:


  1. I was a docent at this place in the early 90's. It has a fascinating interior. it's a mix of Wright's plan but Charles Ennis's ideas sort of a compromise in a sense. I have half of one of the original textile blocks. since they were mixed on site and formed the bulk of it appears to be sand. quite a thick block, and you can see where the re-bar would have fit.

    Did you check out Hollyhock House at Barnsdall art part and one of the other textile block houses the Freeman House, following the 94 quake it too needed a lot of TLC. There is one more in Pasadena and then another not far from freeman in Hollywood which used to be owned by Joel Silver, its in pristine condition fully restored by Silver and Wright grandson Eric.

  2. I love the fact that you just mentioned Eerie, India.

    The only other paranormal kids show I can remember from the 90's is "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?"

  3. That sad face breaks my heart! I wish I could just give you a big old Hug!

  4. Hi Herb,

    I didn't get a chance to check out any of the other textile block houses. Maybe the next time I'm in LA you can give me a tour?

  5. Sure, I used to drag a friend of mine around the Hollywood and areas of the valley to check out the houses of Wright and his son Lloyd Wright who also made some incredible homes, also incorporating a Mayan inspired theme, If you have never seen any of the sons, they too are worth a peek.

    Here is one of them......

  6. If I had the 7.5 mil, Colby, I'd buy it for ya. Or maybe buy it for myself and invite you to move in.

  7. I may be completely wrong but I think the show you're talking about is Maniac Mansion. The pics of the house brought me back to thinking about that show because I have recurring memories of one episode I saw ages back. It's a Canadian television show based off the pc game of the same name. Hope this helps, let me know if I'm right.

  8. It was also used in the Orginal Movie "House on Haunted Hill" with Vicent Price. The house is now up for sale but it would need a lot of work to be done. I study Wrights Houses to great extent.

    Hope this helps