Thursday, March 31, 2011

ARTISTS I LIKE AND HISTORY OF HOMOS: GRANT WOOD


I was at the Boston MFA the other day in the fancy-schmancy new Art of the Americas wing when I was again drawn to another one of Grant Wood's paintings, this time Arbor Day from 1932. Most commonly remembered for the famously re-rendered and parodied, American Gothic, I only learned of Wood's 'closeted' homosexuality after I asked Big Shoe Man himself, Colby Keller as to why he thought I might be so drawn to Wood's vibrant and colorful bucolics. "He's a big 'mo," Colby said. And then I thought to myself, did Grant Wood ever do drag?


'Cause if he did, "Arbor Day Celebration" would have been an awesome drag name and he could have sort of looked like the infamous Hedda Lettuce. Maybe Hedda should change her named to Arbor Day.



1 comment:

  1. grew up completely enchanted by Wood's “The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere” in my parents living room. still am.

    ReplyDelete