Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BEIDONCK-A-DONCK





To celebrate Walter Von Beirendonck's 30 years in fashion, The Antwerp Fashion Museum (MoMu) recently opened a Von Beirendonck retrospective, "Dream the World Awake".  If only I could afford a jump across the pond, I'd plan a trip just to see it!  The show  includes a stunning video by fashion photographer and filmmaker Nick Knight.  For those of you that miss the good ole days of glow sticks and platform shoes, Von Beirendonck's colorful sci-fi raver-punk ensembles should bring back fond memories.  They are also popular with the kids.  There is a special online gallery devoted to children's drawings of cut-out Von Beirendonck paper dolls.  With Walter's iconic penis profile playfully visible, the paper doll is an educational tool only a European institution could promote.  To download your own, click HERE


6 comments:

  1. i need to own the jacket at 1:25. love this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I had no clue this was going on, and I live only 2 blocks from the museum. I'll have to make an excursion and let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm that rare bird i guess , the gay man who hates fashion. i appreciate the creation process but making ugly/strange outfits no one would ever actually wear seems so very pointless to me. lololol cest le'vie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it the colors the outfits the combinations!!! I'm a fashion hog and I just got a outstanding idea from one of those outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walter is just so brilliant. He makes fashion that causes smiles. Nobody feels fat, old, dull, uncool in his clothes. Pure joy. Watching this made me dance... and it's been too long since I've done that. Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete