Wednesday, November 9, 2011

HOUSTON IS. . .



Oh Home.  You love it-- and periodically feel compelled to return like a migratory snow goose every winter-- but sometimes it just makes you cringe.  Houston, where I grew up, is a lot of things.  Hot and humid usually top most people's list (even during the winter).  It's also the fourth largest city in the nation.  Locals like to brag that Houston is actually the third largest metropolitan area provided you count the impressive footprint of the city's vast incorporated suburbs.  I've been to Chicago.  It wins hands down, if not for its beautiful architecture alone (and the foresight of city planners to realize aesthetics DO matter).  Thanks to Southwest airline's 40th anniversary sale, I'll be in Houston for the next several days visiting my family.  A few weeks ago, I used the same bargain deal to buy a ticket to Tulsa, passing through Houston's Hobby airport along the way.  During my hour long home-town layover I discovered this hilarious ad campaign for the city, pairing meaningless adverstising-jargon with images loosely based on Houston area museums.  My favorite: the vaguely racist "Houston is Authentic" and "Houston is Tolerant" (thats an image of the Houston Holocaust Museum).  Cozy indeed.  Doh.









9 comments:

  1. Wait, what? Hurricanes are cool???

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and lest we leave you out sweetie...........houston is HUNG! ;) *evil wicked laugh lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? You're from Houston? I grew up in Pasa-get-down-dena!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Houston?? All this time I thought you were an East Coast Intellectual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been there only for conferences at the Anderson Cancer Center, and it is easily my least favorite city. Traffic was unreal and the sprawl seemed endless....You can taste the air the pollution is so bad......You are luck to be out of that horrible place....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm English, Houston-boy, and I love your city and its museums. And then there is Galveston Island, a simply amazing gay-friendly Victorian city ... even after the terrible destruction of Hurrican Ike. And Houston has a fantastic lesbian mayor. Come, come, dear Colby, yes, come please... I mean Come now, dear Colby, Houston is far more marvellous than cringe-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the advert campaign was more English in sensibility than American. Very funny indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you going to be back in Houston for Thanksgiving or for the holidays? we crossed paths last year out was wondering if it would happen again :)

    ReplyDelete