Sunday, December 18, 2011

HUNTING DUCHOVNY, RECON ON ROBYN


As a self-professed communist, there are a few things I tend not to take too seriously, our collective cult of celebrity being one of them.  But sometimes the bug gets a hold of you, even when you try your damn-est to inoculate yourself.  On my recent trip to NYC to catch up with the latest blockbuster art retrospectives, I encountered not one, but two celebrity sightings.  At the Guggenheim, I spotted David Duchovny easing his way up the spiral.  No one seemed to even notice (or care), except me.  Not a week before, I finished watching David Lynch's cult TV series "Twin Peaks".  Finally!  Ten at the time, I missed Twin Peak's original airing.  Duchovny plays transsexual DEA agent Dennis/Denise Bryson in a break out performance that helped land him the X Files franchise.  Giddy with recognition, I forced BSD correspondent Karl Marxxx to take this undercover surveillance video: 



At the New Museum to see Carsten Holler, I had another celebrity run in (though I didn't quite know it at the time).  To use the upside down goggle helmet you must wait in an excruciatingly long line.  "Who is that incredible woman with the amazing outfit in front of us?" I asked Karl Marxxx.  "She kinda looks like a Scandinavian pop star.  Should I ask if I can take a picture of her outfit or would that be rude?"  She looked vaguely familiar and was wearing the kind of outfit only a rich musician could afford, but then again, NYC is full of rich young kids with good taste in expensive clothing.  I didn't think twice about it.    

Even though we were in line directly behind her for 40 minutes I thought it best not to snap a surreptitious picture.  Waiting in a long line is kinda like living in a small town.  Better not cause any unnecessary friction.  The large long-haired blond Viking beside her didn't look very friendly either (though he did resemble the lead guitarist in a Swedish metal band).  My curiosity got the best of me as soon as I got home.  Maybe she actually was a Scandinavian pop star?  I ran a Google search and sure enough, she was the first 'pop star' to pop up: Robyn!  If only I were gayer I would have known right away!  I love the song "Konichiwa Bitches", but haven't listened to much else admittedly.  I've never seen her perform.  What are the odds I'd have two celebrity sightings the same day, each in a different museum.  That's New York for ya.  

11 comments:

  1. i LOVE LOVE LOVE twin peaks and duchovny is a total yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while since I've been at the Guggenheim but when you said (Duchovny) "easing his way up the spiral" I thought no wait, one doesn't ease up the spiral, one eases down as the clip shows. It's a trick. As one descends you think, surely this has to come to an end! And you look and it does! Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn is fantastic. You should really check her out. One of my favorites is Dancing on my own. http://open.spotify.com/track/7lItUx11Vl9heRR9H68h2M

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY FRAKKING GOSH!
    I ♥ ROBYN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently discovered Robyn off of a post on twitter alerting me to her performance on SNL. Off her recent album, Body Talk, I'm loving:

    Dancing on my own, Fembot, Call your girlfriend, Hang with me, and Stars 4-Ever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks boys. I've been told that for XXXmas this year in Baltimore, I'll be given a tutorial in Bodytalk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you ever get to see Robyn perform live: GO!!

    Not only will it be the biggest convention of gay men outside of a pride parade, but no joke: She's second only to Mick Jagger as the most amazing live performer I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a shame you didn't recognise her because a colby robyn collaberation would be divine! After who controls the means we know just what you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to give you a Body Talk tutorial, and then show you some Robyn music.;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know the tall Viking boyfriend, he's the nephew of a friend of mine. (yes, Swedish too)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robyn really gets into her performances, and she sounds like herself live.

    She was at White Party in Palm Springs earlier this year. She hopped off the stage mid performance to crowd surf amongst the hot gays. =)

    ReplyDelete