Thursday, February 9, 2012

KOORTWAH: AN INTERVIEW WITH KARL MARXXX AND NYC SHOW SATURDAY


KARL MARXXX: We've been big fans of your work at Big Shoe Diaries for some time and we've noticed that your sound has evolved a lot in the past couple of years. Has that been an intentional or conscious part of your search for the KOORTWAH sound?

KOORTWAH: Thanks, guys. It's always nice to hear from you.

As far as the evolution of my sound goes, I think the adjustments and adaptations have certainly been intentional. I would wager, or at least hope, that most artists are constantly seeking to push their work in new and improved directions. These current songs, which will comprise my debut album, are definitely the first that I've been personally happy with, and in as much willing to really put out there and stand behind. That being said, I've already started working on my next album, and am very excited about the progression represented by those songs. The same goes for the video content, which has been greatly refined since I last saw you. I hope to always be moving forward, if only by my own standards.

KM: Tell us again about the name, KOORTWAH.

KOORTWAH: KOORTWAH is really just a phonetic spelling of my extremely French last name. Native English speakers almost never pronounce my last name correctly. I decided, however, that despite (or perhaps because of) a tumultuous childhood, I wanted to use my real last name, or a form of it, so I figured I would provide a more user-friendly version: KOORTWAH.



KM: Will you be performing on stage solo again? Do you foresee yourself collaborating with other musicians in the future?

KOORTWAH: Performing on stage solo was kind of limiting, and I much prefer feeling like I'm part of a band, regardless of how small that band may be. I'll be playing the next few shows with Monica Lionheart on the drums, and I'm not opposed to adding a keyboardist in the future, or having my drummer play keys as well.
KM: What are you listening to right now?

KOORTWAH: A lot of Emmylou Harris (Red Dirt Girl, Wrecking Ball), Yelle, Michael Nyman, Alison Krauss/Robert Plant, Robyn, and Hole. I think, actually, that if you were to listen to all that stuff at once, you'd get a pretty good idea of why I make the music I make.



KM: What can people expect at your show** on Saturday?
** New Yorkers can catch KOORTWAH at RockBar Saturday, February 11th at 10:30 p.m., 185 Christopher Street, No Cover (listed).

KOORTWAH: It'll be a short, sweet little set. I'm still working on the video content for it, and it will be interesting to see how the video works in that kind of space. As I mentioned before, the beautiful Monica Lionheart will be on the drums, and I'll be singing, naturally, and playing guitar. Rock Bar is a great little venue with a fun crowd and cheap drinks, so everyone should come check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to picture the real Karl Marx's reaction to Rock n Roll. Even Che Guevara arrested youth who listened to the new "American trash." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This HPoA looks like he has a yummy funyun!

    ReplyDelete