Wednesday, May 9, 2012

ARTISTS I LIKE: OSCAR PETERS



I enjoyed the work of several grad students on my recent trip to Pittsburgh.  Some left me perplexed, others made me nauseous.  Only one left me enthralled and a little terrified: artist Oscar Peters' "Roar". 

The mammoth sculpture takes up a spacious room in the gallery's second floor foyer.  Comprised of a large animatronic lion head, several suspended leaf blowers and a giant paper mache moon weighing nearly half a ton that barrels around the gallery on a handmade wooden roller coaster frame, the sculpture threatens to destroy itself (and the audience) with each precarious lap.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a video of the sculpture in action but you can get a feel for Oscar's work in the videos above and below.  At nearly 6'3", with a bushy red beard, this imposing Dutchman also makes a terrific "Boy with Beard", though I'm sorry to announce he's also perfectly heterosexual.  

I guess there are other metaphors embedded in a baseball bat and balls.  Go figure.    



3 comments:

  1. Roar is up here: http://vimeo.com/41809550

    ReplyDelete
  2. But "perfectly heterosexual" is an oxymoron!

    ReplyDelete