Tuesday, May 8, 2012

COLBY, POLE DANCER


I've "danced" my way around a few poles, but none quite like this. . .

In fact, I still get a little queasy watching the video above, especially on a day like today.  I've spent the last few frustrating afternoons recovering from a minor stomach bug.  I had the pleasure (and discomfort) to experience Agnes Bolt's "I'm Only Now" while serving as a thesis advisor this month at Carnegie-Mellon.  It took everything in my power not to chicken out and hit the emergency stop button.  60 seconds in the spin cycle is not as fun as you might first imagine.  

According to the artist, "I'm Only Now is an interactive transcendent experience that allows participants to mount the rotating stand and by defying speed and their own suspension of disbelief, become eternal.  Their image in (sic) fed through an energy station that eventually ends up in a retirement community home in Everlasting Place, Land O'Lake, Florida."  

To see more of Agnes's work, click HERE.  

2 comments:

  1. I've seen Whirling Dervishes, but this is a bit out of the ordinary. They usually just twirl on their feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is someone planing a trip to Istanbul in his pink Bonobos? Colby could be the gay Carmen San Diego, as in "where in the world is..."

    ReplyDelete