Friday, July 27, 2012

BIG BLACK MELONS


Corn might be taking a big hit from the record droughts this summer, but my favorite summer treat, melons, remain as plentiful as ever.  That is, if you trust the produce buyer at my local grocery chain. 

In boobs = melons v. corn = penis, boobs win every time.  Go figure. 


This year I came across a special treat.  In addition to Tuscan cantaloupe, Juan Canary (my favorite!), Crenshaws and whole crop of new melons I've never tasted, I stumbled on a bin of big black watermelons.  The melon looks blacker in person that it does in the pic.  Not quite as dark as a Densuke, a Japanese watermelon that can fetch up to $6,100 a piece, but sweet enough for this melon man. 


10 comments:

  1. Um, I might have to disagree--- a big, juicy ear of sweet corn wins the day for me.

    And you have a kitty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father used to grow those in our garden when I was a kid. He always said the species was called Sugar Babies. It's been at least a decade since I've had one. Invite me over for a slice? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @A The variety "Sugar Baby" does actually exist. People who name the species/varieties are usually scientists but it doesn't mean they don't also have a sense of humor ;)

    I wish the weather wasn't so shitty out here, just to really be able to enjoy some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is also the Juan Canary!!! But they can be so pricey in the store!

    http://suefairview.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have a watermelon knife, my beloved mother has one too. She swears by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look like He-Man raising that melon over your head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the cat staring at the melon or wondering what the crazy human is up to now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Colby, the tank top you're wearing is awesome! Where did you get it, if you care to share?

    ReplyDelete