Friday, January 11, 2013

IN THE CHURCH OF MARK ROTHKO'S MIND


Completed in 1971, one of Houston's greatest art treasures is the Menil-supported Rothko Chapel.  Located near the stunning Menil Collection in midtown Houston, the structure is home not only to some very big and very expensive Rothko paintings, but also a community of ecumenical/inter-religious cooperation efforts.  On a recent stop in Houston, the big shoe boys took a moment to contemplate art and life and death and stuff. . . in this beautiful building.





 

While the chapel's policy on photographs prohibited me from sneaking my cell phone out to take a quick shot of the Rothko paintings and chapel interior, I found these images online (with meditating people no less).  Imagine a lot of quiet and intermittent shoe sounds on hardwood floor.



3 comments:

  1. My favorite place in the entire universe. And the Menil Collection (and Twombly Gallery, Rothko Chapel, Richmond Hall combo) is the reason I became a curator. H-TOWN REPRESENT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rothko, schmothko... I just painted three of my living room walls a couple of weeks ago(two coats!), and I'll be damned if they aren't exact duplicates of the above. Who knew I was such a high brow talent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could have gotten you vip brah! let your houston peeps know when your coming.

    ReplyDelete