Saturday, March 30, 2013

MARTHA STEWART DOES EASTER

I had an encounter with Martha Stewart this year that reminded me of why she inspired me as a child. I was taking care of a dog in the West Village when she and her entourage walked by. Her toddler granddaughter approached me and the pooch. She pointed her tiny index finger at the dog and gurgled something unintelligible. Still too young for words, she looked back at Grandma Stewart for help. Most grandparents would probably have said something along the lines of "puppy, pretty doggy, soft" or even baby talk. Martha though, in her steady New Englander accent cooed, "beige. . . Beige. . . Beige. . . That dog is beige."

Growing up amongst close-minded football/basketball/baseball jocks the gay sex industrial complex now parodies and idolizes, I was tormented by the vicious beautiful objects of my desire daily for caring about school and art and just generally being curious. The interaction with Martha reminded of how inspiring she has been to me(and still is). She is not simply content in existing without effort, but in seeing, defining and changing the world in front of her into something beautifully simple. . . beauty is to be recognized, enjoyed, and more importantly, to be shared. That moral, and being confidently able to identify the color "beige" gave me strength in some dark adolescent times.

So in the spirit of rebirth and persevering this Easter, I revived a trick I learned from marthastewart.com last spring that involves three of my favorite things: thrift stores, patterned silk ties and hard boiled eggs.

Get some 100% silk ties from your local thrift or overflowing closet (the zanier the better). Cut them in strips and wrap them around a raw egg to fully cover the egg. Use twine to secure the wrapped silk to the egg. Cut similar sized strips of cotton tee shirt (white) to wrap around the silk wrapping. Secure with twine. Place wrapped eggs in a pan and cover with water. Add a few tablespoons of white vinegar. Place on stovetop and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for another 20 minutes or so. Remove from heat and let cool. Unwrap your eggs and display the awesome patterns at your Easter Brunch. And then have your guests eat them!

Thanks, Martha for everything!















9 comments:

  1. Who's the cutie handling your eggs?

    I bet I could get a couple of his eggs in my mouth at once, or at least enjoy the attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Karl! Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your sentiments about loving beauty and simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having worked for her company (and closely with her at times) for almost 9 years, I find the story completely indicative of how she is as a person. Cool, detached, succinct, I could go on. HOWEVER, she (and the DOZENS of creative folk who have created the projects you see in the magazine and on tv) have elevated the public's acceptance of "beauty" in every day items from the products created at Kmart and Macy's and more, to the DIY inspirations at home. Great piece as always, sir

    ReplyDelete
  4. This got me in the spirit! Great entry! xo Thom

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful post! Love the idea of using the ties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great eggs. (Hmm -- just thought about that. Yeah, those too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely going to try this next year. Thanks Karl!

    ReplyDelete