Thursday, May 2, 2013

FLUXUS FUCKS US



Bitch please.  Fluxus NEVER dies! 

At least according to Hungarian mail (male) art aficionado Peter Kupás, who sent me the follow Fluxus-esque fliers, filled with talking assholes and covered in stickers.  

If you're unfamiliar, Fluxus was a neo-Dada "anti-art" movement of the 1960s founded by Lithuanian-born George Maciunas and based partially on the experimental compositions of queer composer John Cage.  Artists such as Joseph Beuys, Nam June Paik and Yoko Ono took part in Fluxus events and are associated with the movement. 

"Mail art" first found headway in the Fluxus movement with artist Ray Johnson.  The term New York Correspondance School, associated with Johnson's work, came to characterize mail art (and yes, correspondance is intentionally misspelled).  One piece, published in a 1971 edition of Arts Magazine, asked readers to alter an image of the proto-punk poet Arthur Rimbaud.  Check out the "New" New York Correspondence School to see current examples.

Or simply consult the brilliant Peter Kupás himself HERE.  

If you'd like to forward me your very own mail art, shoot me an email first and I'll happily provide my snail mail address.  :-)       
   



2 comments:

  1. I *just* tried to talk a student in my (other) class into doing her presentation on Fluxus. But she didn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete