Monday, September 2, 2013

I WORK THE WOOD LIKE A LOG CABIN


I can't get enough Riff Raff.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've been going thru an end-of-summer binge.  This Houston-based rapper (shout-out to my home town!) sings about everything from Michelle Obama (frozen femurs in the freezer Jeffrey Dahmer) to Salisbury steak sweaters. . . If Raff seems familiar, you may recognize him from the recent film Spring Breakers, where James Franco (naturally) plays a mis-fit rapper covered in daft tats and sporting a pate of Aryan cornrows.  


That hair!  That beard!  Those out-of-sink dance moves!  Be still my beating heart.  Here are a just a few of my Riff Raff favorites:

Post-ironic faux-post-hipster meta-irony (Yes America!  We're finally there)-- "Now They Mad":



Said Salisbury steak sweater:


My personal favorite, "Michelle Obama" featuring the incomparable Lil' Debbie:



Granted, the titles are usually always better than the actual songs, but it's kinda hard not to appreciate the effort: "Obtuse Angle",  "Snow White and the Seven Grams", and "Tiger Woods", among others.  I lifted the title for this post from "Now They Mad". . . I'll leave the interpretation to you.  

Oh yes, don't forget Art Ballin'

5 comments:

  1. Had no idea you were from Houston. Me too

    ReplyDelete
  2. you MUST cornrow your hair and post pics before your next semi-annual clip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now here's something we hope you'll *really* like!

    https://myspace.com/jandek

    ReplyDelete
  4. James Franco says he based his character in this other rapper from Florida, Dangeruss (but Alien does look more like Riff Raff, so I guess he's denying it because of the lawsuit). I love your blog Colby. Please post more pictures of your beautiful books.

    ReplyDelete